January 25, 2016

Adrenaline and Fish Sauce

Last night in Vietnam means last supper so you better get all your tastes in. We did a Saigon on Bikes tour so Sarah could experience the rush/terror of being on a Saigon scooter and I could consume my final 3,500 calories of the trip. Both goals met.

We spent 5 hours buzzing around on the motorbikes of Saigon locals, Phuc and Vi.
Here you see 2 out of the 18 million scooters in the city. 

Sarah and I were the sole non-Vietnamese at every restaurant, which I interpret as meaning we had authentic fare. There is a 0% chance I would be able to find any of the places again independently. All were down side alleys, not necessarily with signage and definitely not in English if it did exist. Here is a nice look at what Saigon traffic is like.

First stop was grilled rice paper with cabbage and chicken -- I plan to make this one at home.

We tried yet another version of the spring hand roll, this time "net cake with BBQ pork" and "steamed baguette with stir fried beef." BBQ pork won that round.

The midway stop had the most delicious lemongrass & chili steamed clams and tamarind crab claws, but we also consumed balut (steamed poultry embryo) and prawn brains. 
I suppose that made it a wash. 

If I had to guess, I'd say with 100% certainty that the final stop for dessert was Sarah's favorite. Somehow we polished off the coconut jelly, pomelo and green bean soup, coffee flan, and homemade yogurt. Thanh was happy to learn the expression "clean plate club." 

No comments:

Post a Comment