February 19, 2015

Massage in SEA

I will choose massage every time. 
Massages in Thailand and Vietnam aren't like massages at home. I'm not a regular patron in the US, but I've had several here and below are some things you can expect that I didn't:

1. Talking: I've had 7 (I think), and none have been silent. The masseuses talk to each other--not constantly or loudly, but they talk. One older lady actually had the giggles and found everything funny. It doesn't bother me because the massages have been great and maybe they're friends so whatever. I'd expect if you found an expensive "spa" type place they might forbid talking, but it seems that silence isn't an important element in massage. 

2. Discomfort: The Thai massage isn't so much relaxing as it is therapeutic. They knead your tight muscles, work out knots vigorously, and bend your body around. These are not massages where you'll gently drift off, but more likely you'll be coaching yourself to breathe through it. Tip: it seems an "oil massage" is the less intense version, more like a massage in the US. I prefer Thai. 

3. Good price: Of course the type of place (resort, beach hut, Bangkok alley, etc) has everything to do with it, but in general an hour massage will cost anywhere between $7-25. Even the fancies are cheaper than home. 

4. Physical closeness: My first massage was at Wat Pho (temple and reputed birthplace of Thai massage) so I assume it's the strongest example of a pure Thai massage. I was surprised how physical it was--almost like team yoga at some points. He sat next to me, on me, bent my arms over backwards, bent me forward, twisted my torso over. It was full contact and covered almost every part of my body. Very professional, but something to prepare for so you're not surprised by it. 

5. Options: There are places for massages everywhere. Particularly in Thailand, but in general. Almost all hotels offer massage; many list the service and when you book they call a woman from the town to come over and give it. Good system. You can get massages at markets, on the beach and all over the towns. Also, in addition to body massage other common services are foot reflexology, body scrubs, focused massages, and fish pedicures (ah!). 

I love massages and wish I was getting one right now. 

3 comments:

  1. So glad you like Thai massage. I think they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully Jeff and your dad avoided the ridiculously uncomfortable restroom massage. It can be a little startling if you aren't expecting it. And let's be honest, nobody's expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thai massage is really an amazing kind of massage. Of course, it is different from other forms of massage in some way, as there is variety in types of massage to cater different types of preferences. Anyway, I hope to hear more about your other massage experiences as well. Thanks for sharing this, Anna!

    Alvin Smith @ Essential Balanced Body Work

    ReplyDelete