February 16, 2015

Scooting Saigon

There are at least 8 districts (#hungergames) in Ho Chi Minh City and most of the tourist sites and hotels are in District 1. We wanted to see more of the city and also eat so we booked an XO Nighttime Foodie Tour. We stopped about 7 times and went to districts 5, 7, 8, 6, and 4. Mode of transport is the best part: back seat scooter. 
As started before, the SCOOTER TRAFFIC IS INSANE and we got to be right in the middle of it. 
Nan was super nervous at first, but her driver Thi was very sweet and drove smoothly. At the end, we all agreed it was an awesome way to see the city. 

My dad's driver Tam was so smart and later led us in a chopstick-based competition of moving coconut peanuts into a bottle while we waited for our food. John did not win. 
Not to brag, but Nan and I were the chopstick champions. Years of sushi bars as a child paid off. 
We hit some cool restaurants, nothing we would have ever stumbled across on our own. Below, Tam is about to grill up some goat breast and frog legs. Loved the goat, as we ate it wrapped in basil and mint leaves. 
Huong was my driver and despite the screams of traffic we talked the whole time. She pointed out interesting sites and we learned about each other's lives, but mostly we sang. First, songs by Pink and Taylor Swift, but when she found out I knew Christmas carols, she wanted to stick tp that genre. It was such a memorable moment, to be scream-singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" together while cruising through the chaos of Saigon. 
There were several great dishes to ty during the night, but the most memorable for me was the steamed duck embryo. Nan and I tried the "broth" from inside, I went as far as trying the yolk. Nan couldn't make that happen...we saw the tiny face and then it was game over. John ate his happily and somewhat ignorantly. He missed the part about it being an embryo. 
The best part (if you don't count the lemongrass steamed chili clams) was getting to know these Vietnamese women. They're all mid-twenties and such kind and friendly people! Thank you Huong, Tam, and Thi. XOXO

Potential tip: Huong and I discussed fruit at some point and apples came up. I happened to have an apple from the US (Nan brought it for a snack) in the hotel room so at the end I grabbed it for her She had only had small green apples so she thought it was really cool. Next time I come here I will bring small and interesting things like that (USA candy, Sconnie glasses, apples!) to give to friendly people I meet. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this trip and how you are blogging it. You make me feel like I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tam stopped me before I ate the last scoop of the duck embryo... apparently saving room for the birthday cake. I was drinking Saigon beer so it washed down quackingly smooth. Veganism is a respectful life after that night.

    ReplyDelete